Science has been able to tell us a lot about beauty: the six physical features men can’t resist, your most important facial feature, and now, which women are considered the most beautiful in the world and why.
It all comes down to an ancient Greek philosophy called the Phi ratio, which Dr Julian De Silva, of the Centre for Advanced Facial Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery, used along with computer facial mapping to determine which famous women have the ideal face ratio and symmetry.
While standards of beauty vary by culture, the ratio method is an interesting approach to aesthetics and may give us some clues as to why some people stand out more than others.
Amber Heard came in at the top of the list with a facial symmetry of 91.85 per cent, while Helen Mirren ranked in sixth place and Marilyn Monroe came in ninth.
Dr De Silva pointed out that this study is by no means a way to pit women against each other. ‘With this groundbreaking technology, we have solved some of the mysteries of what it is that makes someone physically beautiful,’ he said. ‘The results were startling and showed several famous actresses and models have facial features that come close to the ancient Greek principles for perfection.’
So, according to the ancient Greeks and science, here are the 10 most beautiful women in the world:
1. Amber Heard – 91.85 per cent
2. Kim Kardashian – 91.39 per cent
3. Kate Moss – 91.06 per cent
4. Emily Ratajkowski – 90.8 per cent
5. Kendall Jenner – 90.18 per cent
6. Helen Mirren – 89.93 per cent
7. Scarlett Johansson – 89.82 per cent
8. Selena Gomez – 89.57 per cent
9. Marilyn Monroe – 89.41 per cent
10. Jennifer Lawrence – 89.24 per cent